No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed with Londonboards. I stripped one. It was shockingly easy, even for this weakling. You may want to spring for new seals for the bolts also. Im under the opinion that perhaps the rubber compresses over time and the bolts bottom out on the shoulder at the cam caps before they seal. Most of mine were leakers.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

??? my cam cap bolts don't have seals.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Sorry, I was referring to the valve cover bolts that screw into the cam hold downs.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

ah right, at 32 yrs old mine aren't looking too good I may replace them at some point

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
            At the level of 8lbs you are better off going by feel.

I would never trust a torque wrench at such a low level. Trust your fingers
            This is a CROCK, some of the WORST advice you could give someone!! I build engines EVERY DAY & use a Snap On, inch pound torque wrench to do ALL cam cap bolts, & even cover bolts with it, all between 7-10 ft. lbs, or 84-120 inch pounds. The cam caps torque spec is CRITICAL!!! DO yourself a favor & don't take advice from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about.
            Ray.
            Last edited by rapidray; 05-05-2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              This is a CROCK, some of the WORST advice you could give someone!! I build engines EVER DAY & use a Snap On, inch pound torque wrench to do ALL cam caps bolts, & even cover bolts with it, all between 7-10 ft. lbs, or 84-120 inch pounds. The cam caps torque spec is CRITICAL!!! DO yourself a favor & don't take advice from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about.
              Ray.
              I agree it's a very critical area Ray, too loose or too tight can't be a good thing when the part you're fastening is in contact with cams that spin around as fast as they do. This isn't like tightening the bolts on a static crankcase cover.

I'm waiting for my digital wrench to arrive and if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do, I certainly can't afford a $500-1000 for a professional quality torque wrench. I've looked for local rentals and there none to be had, and people that may have them aren't keen to lend them and I understand why. I don't trust my torque wrenches at the best of times thinking of doing this by hand worries me.

Comment

A Snap On torque wrench isn't 500-1000 dollars. I have 4 of them, an inch pound torque wrench, 2 of the same 5-75 ft. lb., & a 25-250 ft. lb. I USED to use the 5-75 lb for cam caps too, with NO issues, but recommend the inch pound for anything under 15 ft lbs.
                Ray.

Comment

You guys with your fancy tolerances.. kidding of course. I have an inch pound and a foot pound wrench, but ive never used them for engine covers and such. Ray, guess I proved your point or I wouldn't have stripped one......
                  sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I don't know where you buy your tools Ray but I looked up Snap-on a 1/4" was listed as $440USD, once converted to canadian funds that's about $520 then there's shipping, tax and customs charges...

The one I found was $150 tax and shipping, hopefully it'll do the job.
                    Discover top-quality powersports aftermarket parts, accessories, and apparel at Tucker Powersports. Shop now for replacement parts, gear, and equipment.

Comment

my head reassembly still on hold while I wait for my torque wrench to arrive ...so I wrestled the carbs into position today, very glad I purchased new rubbers for the carb/head that would've been near impossible with the old petrified rubbers.

Comment

You need the right tools:

Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

lol! yeah that would've been my situation if I hadn't bought new rubber.

The battle of removing the carbs was still fresh in my mind, the rubbers were as hard as hockey pucks, it was a beast of a task. I assumed putting the carbs back in with the petrified rubber would be many, many times worse so I bought new air boots for $100. It took me only an hour to install and hook up the cables using only my hands and a screwdriver, no hammer or wood required.

my torque wrench should've been delivered to my door today but the lazy arse mailman couldn't be bothered and left a "failure to deliver-No one was home" notice at the community mailbox down the street I was watching him from my driveway and he never came to my house...so now I have to go to the depot to pick it up tomorrow.
                          Last edited by wyly; 05-10-2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Canada Post to the rescue again.
                            New carb boots are such a treat.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

YEEES! I have my 1/4" torque wrench....and it works! now I can get back at it...price works out to about $7 per torqued bolt, ouch, better than a trashed engine I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                                I agree it's a very critical area Ray, too loose or too tight can't be a good thing when the part you're fastening is in contact with cams that spin around as fast as they do. This isn't like tightening the bolts on a static crankcase cover.

I'm waiting for my digital wrench to arrive and if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do, I certainly can't afford a $500-1000 for a professional quality torque wrench. I've looked for local rentals and there none to be had, and people that may have them aren't keen to lend them and I understand why. I don't trust my torque wrenches at the best of times thinking of doing this by hand worries me.

Comment

Working...
                                X