No announcement yet.

'84 1150 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

definitely don't have 4.9 liters, at most 4.5 , so I won't worry about that until I put in more fuel.

I'll take apart the side stand switch and see what I can find. Local cycle shop tells me that to pass road inspection all gauges and lights that the bike came with from the factory must operate in order to pass the inspection. Which seems a bit harsh for the fluff gauges like, side stand, gas, and gear selection, my CBX came with none of those and still passed the inspection.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

side stand warning light now works...
      fuel gauge will probably work too once I get more fuel in it.

Now I need to do a carb synch, then after that I need to recall how the fairing goes back together and in what bucket, box or bag I put all the fasteners in.

biggest challenge now is trying to upload the video I took.

Comment

side stand warning light now works...
        fuel gauge will probably work too once I get more fuel in it.

Now I need to do a carb synch, then after that I need to recall how the fairing goes back together and in what bucket, box or bag I put all the fasteners in.

biggest challenge now is trying to upload the video I took.

Comment

Began the carb synch and was stymied by the center adjustment, I could get a screwdriver into the slot but couldn't reach it with a wrench to loosen the nut.
          Too late to go the tool store I gave up for the night then I came up with an idea for a hybrid tool and gave it a try. I clamped a small straight jawed vice-grip at a 45 degree angle on a 1/4" 8mm socket. I had to move the clutch cable to squeeze in the frankentool, I had hardly any room to turn the tool but enough to loosen the nut, tomorrow I'll look for a flex drive with a 1/4" adapter to get more control.

pilot screws- I have mine set at 2.5 turns out, how do I know if that's where the final setting should be? Is there another method to test it other than going for a test ride? I don't have a registration or insurance for it as yet so I can't go on the road.

Comment

You really need to do these adjustments with the fuel tank off and by using a little auxilliary tank. That way you get to the screws from the top.

2.5 turns out is a good place to start. Adjust idle to 1,000 rpm. Then turn one screw in half a turn and see if the revs drop or rise. Then turn it out again by one full turn and see if the revs rise or drop again. Leave all the screws in the place where you get max revs. I then tend to open the screws up by .25 of a turn (even if the revs drop slightly) to richen the mix a little. I have found this little adjustment gives a much nicer pick up from idle and the transition from on to off and on again of the throttle is much smoother. Then adjust the revs to be around 1,100.

After you've done that you'll need to balance the carbs.
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I even had trouble getting at the center location with the tank off. I torched and bent a wrench to get in. I really should have bought the proper tool, but was in a pinch.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I bought a universal joint to fit between the 8'mm socket and the ratchet extension so I could tighten or loosen the lock nut. I took out the slim screwdriver out of carb tool and that was able to reach the center adjuster at a difficult angle but it worked.

I'll need to buy the right tool for the job next time along with the square 3mm tool for the valve adjustments. If I had bought them from the internet it would've been a two week wait.

I think the carb sync is done, I shut the engine off and when I tried to restart to adjust the idle it wouldn't run without full choke and kept stalling. The battery was beginning to struggle from the numerous start ups so I put it on the charger.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                  I'll need to buy the right tool for the job next time along with the square 3mm tool for the valve adjustments. If I had bought them from the internet it would've been a two week wait.
                  the valve adjustment tool can be a #2 robertson screw, a deck screw....
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                    the valve adjustment tool can be a #2 robertson screw, a deck screw....
                    ahh, nice tip thanks. I've got a thousands of them, wrap some tape around 3 1/2 screw and it'll be perfect...and free!

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                      ahh, nice tip thanks. I've got a thousands of them, wrap some tape around 3 1/2 screw and it'll be perfect...and free!
                      Lots of people take a shorter screw and run it into the end of a piece of dowel to provide a nice, comfy handle.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I was planning to use my hole saw to cut a 3/4" disk about the size of the actual tool put the screw into that. I'll post a pic once I've made it. If I can find a 1" dowel in garage I'll use that.

Comment

After the initial adjustment ( first service after rebuild) you probably won't have to adjust at less than a 20 000 km interval, even then only a couple of valves....
                          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I'm back to finish the rebuild, I got lazy when the weather got warm my CBX kept calling to me to take her out for exercise.

Had problems trying to restart the GS I wasn't sure what was wrong, got it started once I sucked on the vacuum line and got the fuel flowing.

once fired up I rechecked the sync and #1 and #2 are a touch higher at 20.5 vs 18.5 for #3 and #4...
                            How accurate are these vacuum gauges, how close a reading is acceptable, do they need to be exact ? I imagine exact would be the ultimate goal but is it possible with these gauges?

when adjusting the mixture (which is set at 2.5 turns now) do I do this with the vacuum gauges still attached?

Once I get past this stage I only need to check the brakes and change the front tire and I can finally reassemble the body parts. I need to get this done I'm putting far to many miles on my CBX, the GS has to be my daily driver.

Comment

so I thought I'd try bring the vacuum numbers closer together, maybe I should've left it alone ...it got hot, stalled out and now it won't start...damn!

Comment

The CBx is SUCH an awesome bike, but the GS is SO much better at everything.
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X